Thursday, February 16, 2017

Back to Bell Smith Springs

So, while Maine was getting yet another snowstorm, Amy and I decided to go back to Bell Smith Springs to hike the blue trail. It was yet another lovely day. We took the blue trail from the parking area instead of going down the stairs. This take a path along the top of the canyon on one side, eventually taking you down to the bottom of the canyon to cross the stream and then up to the top on the other side. A really fun and beautiful hike. We had a bit of trouble convincing Bubba to cross the creek. He is NOT fond of water. We did talk him into it eventually. Amy and I got separated at the end of the hike, she needing to head right to the parking lot to use the ladies room. I lagged behind exploring. I then realized I could not find the stairs that takes you to the top of the bluff to the parking area. I walked back and forth along the creek several times. I knew by my GPS that I was in the right area. I finally went back to the last trail marker I'd seen and really looked around carefully for the next marker and FINALLY spotted stairs, though not the ones I was looking for. It was all good though as they also led up to the parking area. I got up there and Amy was no where to be seen. I had taken quite a while to find the stairs so wondered if she'd gone back down in search of me. Or, she may have had trouble finding the stairs just as I had. I went to the overlook and called out to her and sure enough, she too had been unable to find the stairs. She was back across the stream on the ladder by the natural bridge. She spotted me made her way back over. We had a good laugh over it.
























Amy, in the center crossing the creek

 When we got home, Bishop's Auto called and the truck was ready to go. Fred drove me up to Harrisburg to pick it up. Time to start thinking about heading back to Maine. I hated to even think about leaving. Amy was ready to get back to her home and family. We decided we'd head out Saturday morning so we had one more day to enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment