Thursday, August 20, 2015

Otter Pond in Standish

I got an invitation to ride today with a group of friends. They were going to Otter Pond in Standish. Trails I've never ridden that I have heard were very nice. I didn't have time to put in for an automatic day off at work. You have to give them 48 hrs. notice. We've been very busy this week at work even working overtime so I didn't think I could get the day. But, I pleaded with my supervisor and she approved me to have the day off. Yippee!

It's been very hot and extremely humid all week. Today was predicted to be cooler but still very humid. Susie, Lind, Joanie, Leesa, Barbara and Mary-Ann were the group planning to go. Wednesday night Barbara and Mary-Ann decided not to go due to the predicted high humidity. The rest of us decided to give it a try as though it was going supposed to be humid, the temps were only going to be in the 70's.

I was a little late getting going this morning. the plan was to meet at Susie's house at 9:00 am. I did get up at 7:00 am but by the time I fed and cleaned the barn and then hooked up my my trailer and everything put back in it that I usually just keep in there (my trailer just came back from the repair shop) I knew I would be a bit late. I had to stop for gas also. I was not too late though meeting the others at the highway at 9:15 am.

It was an easy drive to Otter Pond and the parking is good there. Lily had loaded right into my trailer with no fuss at all. Good girl! She stood quietly while being groomed and tacked up. I have switched her bit from the long shank to a short shank Pelham. I think she will be happier with this and she is soft so I think it will have plenty of stop to it for her. I also put a lift front pad under her saddle as she is showing some signs of discomfort in her shoulders. My saddle I think is a little to wide for her so I wanted to try this to see if there was a difference. Lily was very good with this bit and definitely happier with the front of the saddle lifted. Her gaits were much more even on each side and very steady.









The trails at Otter Pond are indeed lovely. Lily has lost both of her front shoes but Susie told me I would not need them here. She was right, the footing was lovely. The weather turned out to be great. It was a bit humid when we got there. But overcast so not hot. Then a nice breezed picked up and the humidity dropped as we were riding. We did quite a bit of trotting and Lily didn't even break a sweat. At one little stream crossing with a bridge not safe for the horses to cross, we had a bit off a pile up. Susie was on the lead with Dixie and though she has crossed this before, she decided she was NOT going to do it today. Then Joanie tried with Franny. Not happening. So, Leesa gave it a try with her Billy Bob, one of the least experienced equines in the group other than Lily and he looked it over, and then carefully and easily made his way across. He's such a good horse. The rest followed once he crossed though I still have to take a minute to convince Lily it was ok. There were also a few places we could get into the water which was fun. Lily is quite suspicious of the water. She doesn't like it if she can't see her feet or if she feels it getting deeper. But, she did go in. I sponged her from the saddle for the first time. She did not care at all about me throwing a sponge out on a string from the saddle or about being sponged. The horses and Lily all got along very well and we had a great ride. When we got back to the parking area, we took care of the animals, and then let them graze for a bit. Then tied them all to the trailers with hay while we relaxed and had lunch that we had brought with us. I'm so glad I got the day off to go, it was a lovely day and a wonderful ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment