Saturday, January 24, 2015

Frozen boots and a Snow Filled Ride


Cierra invited her friend Joey to ride with her a week ago. I poured rain that day and was postponed to this weekend. The weather was once again kind of iffy. But, snow instead of rain. Cierra and Joey decided to give it a try anyway. We didn't know how the footing would be on the trails but I knew Cierra would come right back if the horses showed any signs of having any trouble. Joey has never really ridden before. Just one other time here he got on Tinkerbell in the paddock. So, Marie was chosen for his first trail ride. I was busy chopping ice in the paddock near the doors to clear them out and mostly left Cierra to get the horses ready. The hoof boots Cierra uses on Tinkerbell had been left in my trailer after our last ride with Linda Temple and were quite frozen. Cierra and Joey had to really work to get them on Tinkerbell but they managed. Marie had winter shoes on so was all set. Then we realized that we didn't have any riding helmets that would fit Joey. After some thought, I realized that one of Fred's motorcycle helmets might work. And it did! So I told Joey he was now good for up to 80 mph. 







Cierra got Joey mounted up and stirrups adjusted, hopped on Tinkerbell and they were off. I stayed out working away at the ice for quite a while. One of the horses I'm boarding for the winter was VERY upset about Marie leaving. Coal has quite fallen in love with Marie. I was just heading back to the house when I hear Cierra and Joey coming back on the trail so I waited by the barn and snapped a last picture of them coming out of the woods. They were smiling so I was pretty sure they'd had a good time. I was too cold to g back to the barn and I knew they would take good care of Marie so I headed in to the house to warm up. I was so glad they were able to get out and ride. Below are a few picture I took of the other horses today. 











No comments:

Post a Comment