Sunday, June 2, 2013

Dresden-Pittston Ride With Tracy and Nancy

It was another hot day today. Not as hot as Friday or Saturday though. Only in the 80's today rather than the 90's of the previous two days. My friend Tracy had invited me to ride with her and her friend Nancy. They were riding from Tracy's house over to the Lorax trails and back. I quickly accepted the invitation. On Saturday, Tracy emailed me that both her horse, Coal and her mule Ellie Mae were out of commition for riding. Nothing serious but still a little cog in our plan. I quickly offered the services of Marie and the offer was just as quickly accepted.



Oh NO! One of Luke's ears have collapsed!



Marie was very happy this morning at being able to join in the fun and happily jumped on the trailer with Luke. I arrived at Tracy's house around a little early at 8:15 am. The plan was for 8:30 am. I groomed both Luke and Marie and had Marie saddled when Nancy arrived. We had a very nice ride. We did have a little trouble at the start of the ride as it went through some lovely hay fields. It was hard keeping the equine's heads up and keeping them moving! Kind of like asking me to walk across a giant chocolate bar and telling me I couldn't take a bite......... Tracy's horse Fanny went into heat as soon as she saw Luke. I don't blame her, he's a handsome guy. Then my horse went in heat over Fanny. I can't explain that. Fanny was not impressed with that. They were all doing fine though until we stopped to talk to someone on the way home. It was a fellow horse owner and they had brought out some water for us which Luke took full advantage of. Neither mare wanted to drink so were just standing close to each other as everyone chatted. Nancy had gotten off Marie as she'd been scratching her head on her legs and unhooked one side of her reins and Nancy was putting them back on. Suddenly Fannie decided she didn't want Marie so close to her and kicked at her. Marie jumped and knocked poor Nancy down but then Marie froze obviously trying not to hurt Nancy. Tracy quickly got Fanny away from Marie. Thankfully, no one was hurt. That was the only incident we had between the ponies so they were all very good overall. In the woods not far from Tracy's house, we did have a wild Partridge attack! A momma Partridge came out at us doing the whole puffed up scare us away routine. We quickly spotted baby chicks running everywhere. Luke and the horses just stopped and watched for a moment but none of them were spooked by it. When we got back to Tracy's, Nancy hosed Marie off as she was quite sweaty. Luke, once again, had barely broken a sweat so I didn't hose him off but just let him graze for a bit.

Another great ride with good friend on good equines.

No comments:

Post a Comment