Sunday, March 17, 2013

Still Plugging Along

Well, I haven't recorded any Luke adventures in a while. Luke and I have been fairly busy, just seems like I'm stuck in the sand and can't get going in any particular direction. I had hoped to do a dressage show in April. I've had a lot of lessons cancelled and knew I'd need to really step up the work to get ready. An opening came up at Upper Pond Stable for 4 weeks and I decided to move Luke over there so I could really work at it.

I moved Luke over on Tuesday, March 5th. I brought him over with me when I went to work. I was not sure who Karen wanted him turned out with so I left him on the trailer while I fed the horses and while we turned everyone out. It was so funny as Luke was talking to every horse we led out of the barn, which startled a few of them. AMX took it quite well though and he's the one that's been so scared of the mules. Karen had decided to turn Luke out with Jewell and Beau in the cross country field. Luke had already met theses two horses when I've turned him out in the outdoor arena. They have often visited with each other over the fence and seemed friendly. And it's a large pasture so would be nice for Luke. When I put Luke out with them, it was pretty uneventful. Jewell is a Clydsdale/Thoroughbred cross and she makes Luke look small! It was cute on Friday morning as little Lilly, a mini mare in the stall next to Luke, was staring through a crack between the boards and squealing at Luke.

Luke settled into the routine at the stable very easily. The first evening I came to ride him, having gotten out of work early, there were quite a few people there. Karen said each time I walked away from Luke, he nickered for me. How sweet. The arena was busy. Maura McHugh and her daughter Meri were there. They had just finished riding. There was a lesson being given to a little girl on Letty, a wonderful Fell pony. Cierra was riding her horse, Tink also. I rode Luke for a bit, then asked Meri if she wanted to take him for a spin. She was happy to do so and rode him for a while. She did very well with him though I could see he was testing her just a bit. While Meri rode, I had the chance to visit with Maura as well as Cierra's mother, Pam. After Meri got off, I rode just a little bit longer

My lesson was once again cancelled on Thursday. I was not feeling that well in the morning anyway so didn't ride until later that evening. Then I rode one afternoon outside. I was very pleased that when I went to get Luke in that big pasture, he came right to me. Good Luke! I headed out on the trails behind the barn. The snow was still a bit deep on the road out towards the pond but there wasn't much snow in most places. Luke was on high alert and a bit jumpy but didn't do anything bad. After my couple circuits around the pond, I rode back towards the stable but then on out towards the road and made that loop. I passed Tasha being led by her owner down the stable driveway. When I got back to the barn, there was a couple there with a little girl. Luke was still a bit prancy and alert so looking quite impressive I'm sure. The woman asked me what Luke was. I told her he was a mule. She said she had noticed the ears but had never seen a mule that looked so "regal". They came over and pat Luke which he soaked right up.

When my next lesson was cancelled yet again, I decided that I was not going to attempt to do the dressage show. I can fake a lot of things, but being a dressage rider is not one of them. So, I decided to bring Luke back home. I had missed him anyway. I now needed to concentrate on getting him ready for our first CTR of this season. Susie and I are going to the Leverett 25 in western MA. on May 4th. I'm really excited about this. I have never done this ride. Susie has and said it was a nice one.

This past weekend was very cold and I totally wimped out on riding. But, I'll get back at it tomorrow. If it's still cold, I'll just take Luke over to Upper Pond and ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment