Friday, February 1, 2013

Riding in Richmond

I was looking forward to my Friday and just praying for bearable weather to ride. Susie, Linda and I originally planned to ride. I was cold today and Susie decided not to go. Linda and I decided to go for it. I had to work at Upper Pond Stable until 10:00 am and Linda had to be home by 3:00 pm so we decided to stick close to home. Linda picked me up and we rode on the dirt roads by the dump in Richmond. The road was very good. No ice and not rutted up at all. It was cold when we had the wind in our face. But for the most part we were either in a protected area or with the wind at our back so it turned out to be a good ride. I'm glad we decided to go. We ALL needed it. When Luke saw me with his halter this morning, he came right into the barn, ready to head out on an adventure.

When we started out, Luke was doing his power walk and Linda's horse had to trot to keep up with him. I love that walk! Though we did come across some mule eating wagon wheels that were disguising themselves as lawn ornaments. Luke was not fooled and did his best to protect both of us from certain death. I'm just glad that Luke's most common reaction to fear is to freeze and refuse to budge. While this can be slightly annoying, it is not scary. And he doesn't do it often either. After some discussion, I did convince Luke that he could safely get by the mule eaters and he did go. We had one other spot when we asked them to trot up a hill that neither one wanted to go. Something in the woods perhaps. Silly boys! It didn't take long to get them going though. On the way back, Luke still thought those wagon wheels looked hungry but he didn't make much fuss, just gave them the hairy eyeball. It was just so nice to get out!

No comments:

Post a Comment