Wednesday, June 20, 2012

2nd Load of Hay

My hay guy called and said there was a wagon of hay available to take in the morning if I wanted it. Well, of course I wanted it but Fred had gone up to camp and I would have no help to put it in the barn. In the end, I just could not turn down a load of hay so said I would be there in the morning to pick the wagon up.

I was up early to go get the hay. It was going to be a record hot day and I didn't want this to take any longer then necessary. I also had to have the wagon back by noon as he would need it when he started baling in the afternoon. I picked up the wagon at 7:00 am. I got it home and this would be my first attempt at pushing the wagon through the 12' gate and to the barn with the front hitch on the truck. It took me a few tries but really was not that hard once I got the hang of how to maneuver the wagon. And pushing it off the front of the truck is sooooooooooo much easier then trying to back a hay wagon! Once in place, I got two ladders and a plank and placed them right behind the wagon. I then lowered the hay elevator into place on the plank and was ready to start unloading the wagon. Now the fun would begin. Climb up into the hay wagon, send a few bales up the elevator, average of about 6 before the started jamming on the elevator, climb off the wagon, unplug the elevator, climb up the ladder into the hay loft, stack the hay, climb down the ladder, plug the elevator back in, climb up into the hay wagon, send a few more bales up the elevator ........ and repeat until the wagon is empty. 133 bales of hay equaled a lot of trip up and down the ladder. Great work out! And oh was it ever hot. I did make sure to drink plenty of water and didn't push myself too fast. Just as I got the last bale into the barn Kyle and Katie, Luke's owners, showed up. I was sure happy to see them as the one thing I can't do alone is get the hay elevator back up into the barn.

Kyle and Katie had brought over Luke's good fly mask. The visited with Luke, then Louie performed his trick for their entertainment. He's such a ham! They both just love attention but Luke was not sure what the big deal was about Louie fetching a stupid dog toy and why he was getting treats for such silly behavior.

So, 2 loads in the barn and two more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment