Sunday, November 7, 2010

Ride in Phippsburg

Bonnie on Dolly at the Basin in Phippsburg, ME (And no, her mule does not have short legs, I was taking the picture from uphill of her and it is the camera angle! LOL)

Today some friends and I went riding in Phippsburg. I called my friend Darragh to see if she was interested in riding my horse, Marie. I was so pleased she was when she accepted the offer. I had not seen Darragh in FAR too long. Bonnie was picking up Linda. And as Darragh lives much closer to Linda then to me, she decided to just drive over to Linda's house and catche a ride with her and Bonnie down to Phippsburg and I'd just meet them down there. Susie and Barbara were also riding in Phippsburg but we weren't sure if we'd get there at the same time to ride with them.

It was a cold, cloudy, windy and raw day. But, we all decided to ride anyway. With it being hunting season, we hated to miss out on any Sunday riding. Louie was a bit of a stinker about loading into the trailer. But, after only about 5 minutes or so, he finally got on. Marie of course if long past any thoughts of resisting at her age. She is resigned to her lot in life. Actually, she seemed thrilled at not being left behind. I was the last to arrive and Susie and Barbara were just saddling up. So, we all did start out riding together. Louie was pretty light on his feet. He wanted to move out but he listened to me. He did just a tiny bit of jigging but then settled into his big walk. All the horses were a bit excited. I think it was the cool day. We had a really nice ride. Susie and Barbara left us after a while as they wanted to explore some new trails. I led for quite a bit with Louie as he had the fastet walk. He was real good only loosing his courage once due to some scary looking rocks. After all the rocks we rode in, on, through and around in Shawnee, you'd think he'd be cured of his suspicion of rock! But, to give him credit, he doesn't make any big moves when he gets worried, he just stops and is reluctant to go forward. Marie was the most seasoned, brave one in the group but she walks so slow that none of the others can stand to follow her.

Bonnie's new mule Dolly did wonderful. I didn't see her do a wrong thing. I think Bonnie was very pleased with how she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment